Thursday, 31 January 2008

PS another thought

I've had another thought. This writing lark is fine all the while the muse has kicked in - but writers are funny mortals, we have feelings - doubts - worries - uncertainties that we are doing it as well as we should be - and that is a killer. Sitting here, with a blank screen and the cursor blinking, almost daring us to put the first word up is a scary thing. But we carry on doing it. Braving that cursor - daring to believe that what we have to say might actually be interesting, entertaining - even educational or debatable. And do you know why? It's because we're driven. No, not to drink, although the odd gin and tonic does help - we are driven by the need to write, to express ourselves in an imaginary world, where lives unfold, and characters battle with their problems. It's odd, isn't it? Some people take up fishing or stamp collecting - but my hobby - my reason for being here, is to write. And I just can't stop. So, forgive me if I witter on - I'm an author, a story-teller and weaver of tales. I write by the seat of my pants, with only a vague idea of where the story will end. But my characters tell me, they lead me along by the nose. In fact, I have communication with them when I try to take charge, and they put me very firmly in my place. For this is their story, their lives that I am writing about, and although you'll probably think I've lost my marbles, it's true. Stay safe, Tamara

No comments: