Friday, 27 March 2009

The Book

I've just read the blog I wrote back in January, and sit here shamefaced as I realise just how long ago that was. I haven't got very far with this latest book, in fact, I have to confess I've been dithering a lot - until yesterday.
The biggest problem for an author is where to start. The story is there, the characters rounded out and so real I can almost see them. I have a beginning, a middle and an end - but where do I begin? At the beginning? At the end? In the middle? Years before, or after? It's a conundrum that authors down the ages have battled with.
So I started the book. I wrote four chapters, didn't like them and scrapped them. I wrote three more and felt better about those, but I still wasn't happy with the prologue - which actually wasn't a prologue, but something set several years after the beginning - come on, keep up there at the back. I know what I mean!
Anyway, until yesterday I have had to deal with my daughter leaving England for Thailand and Australia with plans to find work in Oz and perhaps stay there. I've had a broken hearted carpenter telling me his woes, and his girlfriend telling me hers. I'm thinking of having a new career as an Agony Aunt - it seems all my friends are either broke, unhappy, unwell or splitting up from their other halves - or worse, all four things at once! The recession has a great deal to answer to if you ask me - and I do wish people wouldn't ask me anything - not now, not when I'm wrestling with this book.
Ho, hum, I hear you say - boring, boring. Just get on and right the darn thing. What can be so difficult? Okay, you could be right, but if the book isn't right, then I'm not happy, and will remain in that state until I've figured out what to do.
Books are like giant jigsaw puzzles, spread over an enormous table. All the pieces are there, the author just has to put them in the correct place. I find talking helps. Talking is one of the things I do most, so it has to have something good about it. To talk over the problem, to air my fears, my doubts and the strands of each story is an enormous help - and the more I talk, the closer to a solution I come.
EUREKA!!!!!!!!!!!! I finally talked myself into the solution, and HEY PRESTO, I'm writing like the wind. The pages are filling up, the story is flowing, and THANK GOODNESS, I can stop getting in a panic.
Wish me luck - I'll be busy for a few weeks now - happily writing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well i'm glad you've found your way with your next book darl..looking forward to seeing the final product. I'm sitting back in sunny bris vegas at my daughter's 17th birthday party....the music is pounding, the 2 labradors are munching away on their bones (so they don't eat the guests)...waiting for the first drunken teenager to fall in the pool or waiting to see if we get any extra non invited party guests...ah the joy of having a teenager!! She's got great friends so she's a very lucky girl! But she's also of that age that doesn't want mum/dad about so i'm hiding out in the garage on my computer blogging my favourite author. I hope your daughter enjoys Australia and finds much happiness. Good Luck with your writing sounds as if you're on your way. Stop to enjoy it as you go...smell the roses inbetween chapters...life is too short.
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Well i'm glad you've found your way with your next book darl..looking forward to seeing the final product. I'm sitting back in sunny bris vegas at my daughter's 17th birthday party....the music is pounding, the 2 labradors are munching away on their bones (so they don't eat the guests)...waiting for the first drunken teenager to fall in the pool or waiting to see if we get any extra non invited party guests...ah the joy of having a teenager!! She's got great friends so she's a very lucky girl! But she's also of that age that doesn't want mum/dad about so i'm hiding out in the garage on my computer blogging my favourite author. I hope your daughter enjoys Australia and finds much happiness. Good Luck with your writing sounds as if you're on your way. Stop to enjoy it as you go...smell the roses inbetween chapters...life is too short.
Cheers!

Jordans Nike said...

cheap jordans, jordan shoes for cheap, Cheap jordans, cheap jordans, ugg, cheap nike free run, Discount Louis Vuitton, ugg boots, ugg soldes, ugg pas cher, uggs outlet, ugg australia, cheap nike air max, cheap nike free, wholesale jordan shoes, wholesale jordan shoes, nike free, Cheap Louis Vuitton Handbags, uggs on sale, cheap nike jordan shoes, air jordan shoes, discount nike jordans, cheap jordan shoes, Cheap Nike jordan shoes, Cheap LV Handbags, wholesale jordan shoes for sale, cheap jordan, Bags Louis Vuitton, Discount LV Handbags, cheap nike shoes