Tuesday, 2 June 2009

camels, tombs, temples and bakshish

Hi there to you all on this glorious English day. It's sunny - yes, the sun does appear in England - and we have just experienced almost a whole week of summer with temperatures reaching the high eighties - or for you younger ones, that's about thrity something. Never did get the hang of it, and it sounds so much more impressive if it's eighty rather than thirty, don't you think?
I digress. Him indoors took me to Egypt where it really is hot - in the hundreds by breakfast time and rising as fast as they can pour rum and cokes over ice. I'm very brown, now frantically trying to keep the tan with buckets of body creams. We went up the Nile - or is that down, from Luxor to Aswan and back again. Hot, hot, hot - but unfortunately the belly dancer who performed for us in cabaret was only luke warm. She was more interested in the bar manager and spent most of her time flirting with him or talking to her musicians. Tepid round of applause followed and she stomped off in high dudgeon.
PAUL AND CHRIS, have lost the bit of paper with your address and phone number on. REPLY TO THIS!
The temples were beautiful and quite what I expected them to be - but I didn't bargain on the ubiquitous arab appearing from behind every pillar and post wanting to show me something. The wink and nod and the leer was warning enough, so I steered clear. Him indoors is far too polite and ended up on numerous occasions having to hand out backshish (I think that's how you spell it) for the honour of having a 'lucky eye' pointed out, or some engraving from 1904. Anyway, most of it was lovely - it was too hot really, and I must have drunk gallons of water - which was a shame, because when it came to alcohol it was really too hot and one got very tiddly after just three or four. Quite ruined my reputation!
I digress - again. My Brissie friend, how are you? Hope all is well and that you're enjoying reading Legacy. Yes, it does follow on - but don't reveal the plot on here PLEASE!
To the ladies from Holland and France - my books are now translated in both languages - more in Dutch, admitedly, but we're getting there.
PAUL AND CHRIS LET ME HAVE YOUR PHONE NUMBER.
My daugher is in Australia at the moment. She upped sticks, rented out her flat and set off to visit her brother in Thailand before descending on her other brother in Buderim. Now she's in Brisbane, the Redhill area, and has started work at Strathpine Hospital. She has lots of interviews to go to and is looking forward to at last being able to enjoy being in Australia now all the paperwork is completed. I miss her, but at least, unlike her brother Wayne, she does keep in touch. HINT TO WAYNE. WRITE TO YOUR MOTHER. I COULD HAVE BEEN KIDNAPPED IN EGYPT AND SOLD OFF TO THE SLAVE TRADE!
I jest. I'm not worth enough camels.
Tombs are creepy, aren't they? Did you like that change of topic? Slick, eh? We went to Abu simbel (I think that's right, forgive my ignorance) and I had a very creepy moment in one of the side bits. It was deep, narrow and low-ceilinged, and I could hear chanting, or humming, and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. I was out of there like greased lighting. Him indoors wasn't impressed. He heard nothing, felt nothing and just wanted to sit down.
WAYNE - WRITE TO YOUR MOTHER
PAUL AND CHRIS, EMAIL ME
NINA, KEEP IN TOUCH
BRETT, LOVE YOU.
Thanks for all your blog replies. Keep them coming. I'm working really hard at the moment on the book, in the hope I won't have to work through the summer - if we get one. Stay safe, keep smiling, and don't let the b******s get you down. Tamara

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tamara,

Rhonda from Bris Vegas here. I am thoroughly enjoying Legacy - Thankyou I am so excited about hearing your stories. It takes me on a wonderful journey with every chapter that I read. I feel as if I love my country even more and my husband and I look forward to retirement and seeing more of our beautiful country. My husband (a kiwi) has seen more of this country than I have. He say's "What is with Australian women...certainly not travellers by any means"...I always state that I live in the most beautiful city in the world so no need to leave it...He states: I wouldn't know what else is out there till I go and explore the world. So we're planning on at least 1 good holiday a year for me to go exploring!!
Hope you're managing to keep your tan. A bit of colour always looks good and healthy!
I hope your daughter is settling in..I am only 2 mins from Strathpine at Bray Park (which is the next suburb). It's a lovely area. My grandfather was the local dairy farmer and owned most of the land at Bald Hills. He is where I get the love of the land from. Give me country anytime!

How exciting to visit Egypt! I hope it's a joy for you to see the world and not a chore! I hope it gives you much pleasure to meet people and find out more about their cultures and what's important in their part of the world.

I best stop dreaming and head off to get dinner ready. It's getting quite chilly now in brisbane as it's now winter and our nights are much cooler however our days are beautiful. My husband & I hope to go for a motorbike ride tomorrow if the day is warm.
Take care & bye for now.
Rhonda from Bris Vegas.

Trudy said...

Hi Tamara,

I just finished reading your novel Windflowers. I loved it and want to read more, so I googled your name to look for more titles and then I found this blog.
That gives me the opportunity to let you know how I enjoy your way of telling stories.
The next novel, which is waiting for me right now, is Dreamscapes and I'm sure I'll love that as well.
As soon as that is finished I'll go searching for more of your novels. I don't know how many of them have been translated to Dutch, but I will find out.
I love Australia and have visited the country 4 times in the last 10 years. I never want to go back home to the Netherlands when I'm there.
So, I hope you keep writing those beautiful novels, then I can keep reading them. In English if I have to.

Jordans Nike said...

cheap jordans, jordan shoes for cheap, Cheap jordans, cheap jordans, ugg, cheap nike free run, Discount Louis Vuitton, ugg boots, ugg soldes, ugg pas cher, uggs outlet, ugg australia, cheap nike air max, cheap nike free, wholesale jordan shoes, wholesale jordan shoes, nike free, Cheap Louis Vuitton Handbags, uggs on sale, cheap nike jordan shoes, air jordan shoes, discount nike jordans, cheap jordan shoes, Cheap Nike jordan shoes, Cheap LV Handbags, wholesale jordan shoes for sale, cheap jordan, Bags Louis Vuitton, Discount LV Handbags, cheap nike shoes