Tuesday, 15 September 2009

Autumn Leaves

Well, here I am sitting at my desk again after a few weeks in Cornwall. It wasn't exactly a rest as such, the garden was over-grown, him indoors insisted upon adding to the already enormous decking, the weather was rubbish and my cats got beaten up - which cost me an arm and a leg in vet's bills on my return home. Oh, the joys of family life - or not, as they turned out to be. Adding to the misery of this 'summer' break, was the fact we fell out with the neighbours as well. There are just some people who won't ..... I'd better not go there, they might be reading this, and things have calmed down somewhat.
On to the writing career. Yippee, finished Ocean Child, now I must keep everything crossed that my publishers like it as much as I do. It's a little different from my other Australian novels, in that it's set in Tasmania - no joking around now, it's where I was born, and no, I don't have two heads! Ocean Child is a mystery story of the gift of a yearling to a young English woman, Lulu Pearson. It's what she discovers on her return to Tasmania that begins to put the pieces of her life together, but who is the mysterious Mr Carmichael - and why has there been someone watching her for the last eighteen years?
You'll have to read the book, I'm not telling.
It was a hard book to write, because some of it is autobiographical, but having said that, the experiences that Lulu goes through were some of my own - like returning to my birthplace, seeing the old house again - remembering not only the good times, but the sad ones as well. Readers who know my stories will recognise the beach as being a part of the memories - and it is so in Ocean Child, for this is where Lulu and I spent our formative years in dreaming, playing and hiding - now of course I sit on beaches and sunbake - which is bad for me, but therapeutic anyway, but the love of the sea remains.
I live in the heart of the South Downs in England, and this is where Lulu lives, though not in my village, but one a few miles away. It's a beautiful part of the world, and I'm privileged to live there and look out of my office every day to the fields, the horses, sheep and cattle and a long line of trees which are beginning to turn to autumn colours.
The Ocean Child took a long time to write because I wanted it to be as perfect as possible, and now it's done, I feel quite sad. But I have an idea for another book based on the legend of Lasseter's Reef. I like legends, they offer so much room to explore and let the mind go to places it might not go otherwise.
I've also decided to turn over a new leaf and go back to the gym. My back is better even if the hips and shoulder are a bit wonky, and after one session I feel better already. It's always a good thing to get out and have some excercise when one is stuck behind a desk all day, apart from the fact winter is coming and I need to be able to get into my little black dress for the party season that's fast approaching. Vanity, vanity, all is vanity.
Farewell for now! Tamara

1 comment:

Zoƫ said...

Tamara!
I just want to say I love your books!
I only started reading them a few months ago when I found them in the English section in a German book shop - now I am nearly through all of them! I cannot put them down. I love Australia and am off there with my husband in June this year :) I can't wait.
Any new books on the horizon?
Thanks for all your hard work and please don't stop writing!
Greetings from Austria!
Zoe