Tuesday, 13 April 2010

Long time no blog

Firstly, I must apologise for being extremely lazy - but I do have several excuses, as you will see. Writing a daily diary was something I did as a teenager, but once married and bringing up children, there never seemed to be any time for such frippery. Once I'd taken up writing for a living I spent all day on a computer and the last thing I wanted to do was spend another hour writing up the minutae of my working day!
Being an author isn't very exciting actually - I sit at my desk for about eight hours while him indoors brings coffee, distraction and useless information - then it's downstairs to a glass of wine, supper - once I've cooked it, and an evening watching the tv. See? Boring!
I jest. It might seem boring to you, but I've spent all day in a different world to the one outside my window. I've been in Australia, in the outback, or on the coast, reliving all the glorious trips I've had over the years and making up my own little world. It takes a while to return to the real world, and if the phone rings, I am usually very cross to be disturbed.
Of course, once the book is finished - the long nights, the endless research, the angst over a piece of dialogue or where my characters are leading me - then I can relax.
But not for long. The editing is next - an exciting time where the book is polished and shined until it is as near perfect as I can get it. Then I can relax.
But then comes the invitations to do talks, signings, interviews - to travel and meet my readers. Then I can relax.
The book goes to my foreign publishers - it's released - reviews have to be read - discarded or held tightly as proof that I'm doing okay. Perhaps now I can really relax.
But I have an idea for another book. It's exciting and the research will lead me who knows where? Perhaps I wasn't meant to relax - after all, this is what I enjoy doing - it's what gets me up in the morning and gives me dreams at night.
Relax? Life's too short and the publishing world too speedy to let up for a minute. Relaxing is for other people. Now perhaps you can see why I don't have much time for blogging? Let alone twittering, face-booking et al.