Thursday, 12 August 2010

Summer days and lost instructions

Hi there, I know it has been a while, and I apologise. I lost the piece of paper that had my address and password on it! Don't laugh, brain like a sieve at the moment - office in chaos - social life out of control - weather far too gorgeous to be stuck in an office. I had to guess several times before I could get into this thing, but now I'm here, I don't really know how to begin.
Having worked solidly for several months, him indoors and I went to France to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Lots of lovely shopping in St Malo with the other girls while the men played golf - followed by a recitation and exaggeration of every ball, hole and bunker played by the men as we sat and drank lovely wine. We didn't brag and boast, didn't bemoan the shoes we couldn't find, the bargain we missed - we just held up all the shopping bags and hid the price tags - but then that's what girls do.
Back home now and the weather has been great. My daughter has moved back into her flat and we're carting her stuff from our attic over to her. It's amazing how a whole life can fit in an attic, isn't it? Tonight we're borrowing a car and trailer to get her couch and bed across - unless it rains - and it has rained, something the gardens are really enjoying. But not the cushions on my new terrace furniture - they are sodden and at the moment hanging on the washing line in the hopes they dry out before it rains again. Sunshine and showers, lovely - I just wish the showers would all come at night, much more sensible.
Right, I'm talking rubbish. Bye for now, will let you know how him indoors and I get on in Cornwall.

3 comments:

Hilde said...

Hi! Thought I'd introduce myself first: My name is Hilde, I'm 27 and I live in Norway. I read Matilda's Last Waltz about eight years ago, cried my eyes out and have devoured your books ever since. Your stories always tug at my heartstrings. I'm hoping to read Lands Beyond the Sea soon.

Glad to hear you're having a good summer. The weather's been terrible here all season; windy and rainy and cold. But I guess I can't complain - I spent four months in Australia this past winter (European winter, that is). Celebrating new Year's Eve in Sydney was certainly an unforgettable experience (and you guys have the best wine!).

I'll be looking forward to your posts in the future, now that you've found your login details (I wouldn't dare laugh, I constantly do the same thing myself). Enjoy the rest of the summer!

Best wishes, Hilde.

Anonymous said...

you cant even spell idiot.

Oliver Cater said...

That's good - coming from somebody who doesn't use capital letters or apostrophes.